Building Thoughtful Citizens
The students of the Brisbane School District will be safe, happy, engaged, respectful, and motivated learners. They will be critical thinkers who are creative, collaborative, and courageous.
Students will reach their full and unique potential academically, emotionally, socially, and physically. Students will engage in and learn from the real world, participating in and contributing to their communities.
The Brisbane School District (BSD) graduates students who are thoughtful, prepared, and engaged citizens. Our program emphasizes conceptual understanding, teaching the Common Core State Standards through year-long themes. With an emphasis on higher order thinking skills, we focus on understanding, evaluating, and creating. We thread Lifeskills throughout our curriculum with the goal of providing our children the tools for citizenship and life. At the core of our academically rigorous instructional program is the Highly Effective Teaching (HET) model.
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) were broadly adopted in 2010 by the State Board of Education. BSD began implementing these standards during the 2012-2013 school year and began full implementation in 2013-2014. The links below offer more information on the CCSS.
Highly Effective Teaching
BSD schools use the Highly Effective Teaching (HET) method of instruction, which is primarily designed to grow responsible citizens. Key components of HET include:
- Curriculum and instruction—conceptual understanding
- Calm and clutter-free learning environments
- Clear procedures and expectations
- Field trips to build first-hand knowledge about an idea
- Spending a chunk of time learning about a concept
- Themes which explore how ideas are interconnected
- Recognizing and using multiple intelligences
- Developing a classroom community through the teaching of “Lifeskills” such as caring, honesty and friendship